Tragedy struck in the early hours of Monday as four members of a family were burnt to death in Jenta Adamu Community of Jos, North Local Government Area of Plateau State.
DAILY POST gathered that the victims of the inferno were former Aide De’ Camp to the second civilian Governor of the State, Amb. Fidelis Tapgun, retired ASP Anthony Kwanmi who was burnt to death with his three children in the house.
It was further gathered that the fire broke out at about 1:30am on Monday immediately after the Nigeria vs Sweden match.
The names of the children were given as Theresa, Emmanuel and Kerry.
The building was raised down completely by the fire suspected to be from electrical fault.
Reacting to the incident, the Ward Head of Jenta Adamu, Mr Kabala Bako, said, ” It was about 1:30 am, when I was about going to bed, after watching the Nigeria vs Sweden match, I heard children screaming and calling for help.
“The youths rushed to rescue them, struggling to prevent the fire from spreading to surrounding buildings.
“We kept pouring water before the men of firefighters came to the scene and quickly put off the fire.
However, the Ward Head who is a neighbour to the deceased further explained that, “When they finally went into the rooms, they discovered ASP Anthony Kwanmi and his three children were burnt, only their skeletons were hand picked to the hospital .
Also narrating the incident, Mrs Manya Matthew, corroborated the same story as the Ward Head told our correspondent.
She said her property were destroyed, “I couldn’t escape with anything, i mean i lost everything.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of Plateau Command, ASP Tyopev Mathias Terna, also confirmed the tragedy.
Terna said the A division of the Command got a call around 3am Monday, and men were mobilised to the burning residence.
“Our men and fire fighters help in putting out the fire.
”Unfortunately one Mr Kwanmi, a retired police officer and 3 of his children lost their lives in the inferno; while his wife and one family member are currently receiving treatment in the hospital,” he said.