LBW

Tuesday, 23 May 2017

22 People Dead After Blast At Manchester Concert

Day has broken over the stunned English city of Manchester, coping with the aftermath of a suspected terrorist attack that has left 19 people dead and saw around 59 taken to hospital. Many more injured were treated at the scene.

Greater Manchester Police said they received reports of explosions during an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena just before 10:35 p.m. local time on Monday night. Chief Constable Ian Hopkins told a press conference that police were treating the incident as a terrorist attack "until we have further information."

He said that police were "working closely" with the U.K.'s national counter-terrorism network.

"I am so so sorry. I don't have words," Grande tweeted after the atrocity. "Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack," her manager said.

British Prime Minister Theresa May issued a statement, saying "We are working to establish the full details ... All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected."

Nobody has so far claimed responsibility for the blast.

Reuters reports that campaigning for the U.K. general election in June has been suspended in the wake of the attack and says that May will be leading a meeting of the British government's emergency COBRA committee Tuesday morning local time, to coordinate a response to the incident. The committee is convened during terrorist attacks.

Facebook has activated its safety check for the attack. Police have given this U.K. number for those with fears for loved ones: 0161 856 9400.

The concert had just ended when witnesses heard two "huge bangs," accordingto the Manchester Evening News. Witnesses told CNN that the explosions took place in a box office area outside the main performance venue.

Time.com

No comments :

Post a Comment